It seems that every time I have headed to the coast the past 12 months, the winds has been howling. I haven't fished a calm day in months and months. Well, this past weekend the wind finally died and went calm. I almost forgot what it was like to fish calm water. BUT I DIDN'T!!!

William, my fishing buddy, and myself left Austin late Friday night for the 230 mile drive to Aransas Pass to visit our good friend, Capt Dean "Slowride" Thomas. We got to Dean's house about 2:00AM Saturday morning. We snuck in to the bunk house and went right to sleep. We were awoken at 5:00pm by Dean. We were on the water before sun-up at 6am. It was dead calm. In fact, it was hot & muggy.

We found some aggressive trout early. I was using a chartruese Stanley Ribbet plastic frog as a buzzbait when a stocky 18"-19" trout inhaled it. However, when he hit it, a giant trout exploded right next to him. I guess that smaller trout was just quicker to grab the frog. The big explosion sure got Dean's attention!

It wasn't much longer before Dean found some reds. He worked that area pretty good landing several reds including one big mama. Willie found a few more trout as I did too. But the redfish evaded us on Saturday morning.

That evening we opted for a round a of disc golf instead of fishing. We had a blast.

Sunday morning was awesome!!! We fished an area similar to where had fished the day before. We had a light breeze and good clear water. We didn't paddle far before we were on fish. William ended up staying and working that area picking up a 23" and a 25" speckled trout as well as a couple of slot reds.

I went farther and found an area of grass flats about 18" deep. I had redfish tails popping up all around me all morning. They were awful finicky though. I managed to put 2 slot reds in the boat. I also hooked up with my biggest trout ever. I had a 28"-30" fish played completely out and lost her lipping her at the boat. She hit a woodpecker (red head/white body) Spook Jr. I landed several smaller trout but that big beauty is still etched in my memory.

All of our fish fell for the topwater lures on Sunday morning. Not a single fish was caught on a spoon or plastic tail.

We came off the water around 11:30am pleased as punch with the morning. Both William and I were happy with the action and very satisfied with our coastal run. We made it back to Austin by 4pm Sunday afternoon with big ol' grins on our faces.

Nothing refreshes my soul better than a couple days kayaking the bays. It is especially gratifying when those 2 days are calm and full of fish!

Tight Lines All,
Joe "GoinCoastal" Poole

Views: 12


You need to be a member of Wilderness Systems to add comments!

Join Wilderness Systems



  • Add Videos
  • View All


© 2017   Created by Craigo.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service